Bagpipe fungus nearly killed lifelong musician

bagpipe_fungus

From Global Post:

A lifelong bagpipe player nearly died after contracting fungal pneumonia from playing dirty pipes.

John Shone, 78, is recovering from the near fatal infection that doctors say was caused by spores that grew inside his bagpipes, which hadn’t been cleaned in 18 months, reports NBC News.

“Failing to clean my pipes led to me becoming critically ill,” said Shone, who used his story as a cautionary tale for other musicians.

“It is very important for pipers worldwide to clean their instruments,” he told NBC News.

Continue reading the rest of the story on Global Post