SOCAN has announced the five finalists for its eighth annual SOCAN Songwriting Prize (formerly the SOCAN ECHO Songwriting Prize) in English, and the nominees once again reflect the breadth and depth of Canada’s rich songwriting talent.
The nominees for the 2013 English SOCAN Songwriting Prize, as selected by an independent panel of music experts are:
– “Baby’s Got it” – written and performed by Maylee Todd
– “Devil’s Got a Gun” – written by Luke Doucet and Melissa McClelland; performed by Whitehorse
– “Fineshrine” – written by Megan James and Corin Roddick; performed by Purity Ring
– “Mule in the Flowers – written by Tamara Lindeman and Steven Lambke; performed by The Weather Station feat. Baby Eagle
– “Sucker” – written and performed by Mo Kenney
Fans can now vote once a day for the duration of the contest at www.socansongwritingprize.ca. All eligible voters have the opportunity to win a new Apple iPad and Roland headphones just for voting.
The SOCAN Songwriting Prize honours the most creative and artistic songs – English and French – released by independent Canadian songwriters over the past year. The writer(s) of the winning song, as voted by the public between June 3rd and July 3rd, will receive a $5,000 cash prize, as well as a Gibson Les Paul Standard guitar with Gibson’s new Min-ETune technology (valued at $2,500) and a voucher from Roland Canada for $3,000 in Roland products. The winner will be announced during the week of July 8, 2013.