Spotify found at least 120,000 playlists titled “Guilty Pleasures” and used some calculations to learn “the top 10 most-streamed tracks the world wants to keep hush-hush,” according to a press release.
1. Mambo No. 5 – Lou Bega
2. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go – Wham!
3. My Sharona – The Knack
4. Don’t Stop Believin’ – Journey
5. Cotton Eye Joe – Rednex
6. You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) – Dead Or Alive
7. Who Let The Dogs Out – Baha Men
8. Never Gonna Give You Up – Rick Astley
9. U Can’t Touch This – MC Hammer
10. Call Me Maybe – Carly Rae Jepsen
A few things: Call Me Maybe is awesome, an absolute bull-headed storming hit. If you’re in my car, and this song comes on, you sing it with me.
Nobody is ever going to give up Rick Astley. We;re never going to let him down, or desert him.
Don’t Stop Believin’ is a song that will keep selling, and selling, and selling, likely to connect with listeners 10 or 20 years down the road. Believe that.
Wham is rumoured to be reforming in time for Glastonbury 2015.
Cotton Eyed Joe’s video has them playing instruments, when I still can’t hear anything other than what was programmed using some computer. Still has the power to pack a club dance floor than you would have thought possible.
I’m still waiting for Mambo No. 6.