The Beatles’ Dresses From 1964

Seltaeb (Beatles spelled backwards) was a company set up in 1963, by Nicky Byrne to exclusively look after merchandising interests on behalf of Brian Epstein, who managed NEMS Enterprises and The Beatles: John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr.

Directly prior to The Beatles’ first American visit, Brian Epstein wanted someone to manage the escalating volume of merchandising requests that NEMS found itself unable to cope with, and asked his lawyer, David Jacobs, to oversee this task. Jacobs knew Nicky Byrne and asked him if he would be interested in taking over the merchandising subdivision from NEMS altogether, paying NEMS a commission. Byrne accepted the offer subject to a 90% rate, leaving only 10% for the Beatles and NEMS combined. Completely unaware of the potential market that existed, particularly in America, Epstein agreed to the deal, and subsequently lost The Beatles an estimated $100,000,000 in possible income.

However, Seltaeb delivered many of the first items of music memorabilia – gum cards, plaric guitars, and clothing, like these dresses from 1964.

The Beatle dress, circa 1964 (2)

The Beatle dress, circa 1964 (1)

The Beatle dress, circa 1964 (3)