A group of critics, artists and musicologists were polled by England’s Classic Rock magazine to determine the greatest guitar solos of all time and Led Zeppelin’s Stairway to Heaven came out on top, providing the song is pretty durable.
Jimmy Page isn’t sure that Stairway is his best. He told Classic Rock “Is Stairway To Heaven my best Zeppelin guitar solo? No, but it’s pretty damn good. … If everyone else says it’s my best solo then that’s great, that’s good, but there are others that I prefer.”
Pink Floyd’s David Gilmour came in second with the solo from Comfortably Numb while Don Felder and Joe Walsh took third for the Eagles’ Hotel California.
The top ten:
1. Stairway to Heaven – Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
2. Comfortably Numb – David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)
3. Hotel California – Don Felder and Joe Walsh (Eagles)
4. Freebird – Allen Collins (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
5. All Along the Watchtower – Jimi Hendrix (Jimi Hendrix Experience)
6. Eruption – Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)
7. Killer Queen – Brian May (Queen)
8. Sweet Child of Mine – Slash (Guns N’ Roses)
9. Purple Rain – Prince (Prince and the Revolution)
10. Paranoid – Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
The full top 100 will be in the upcoming issue of Classic Rock