We recently lost one of Canada’s best documentary filmmakers, Rob Stewart, one of the nicest, kindest people I’ve met in my career in music and the arts. He was a wildlife photographer, activist, educator and filmmaker who fought for shark conservation, and made the award-winning film Sharkwater. The film focused on the decline of the shark population due to human actions. Sharkwater is widely credited with creating the shark conservation movement, and spurring actions to change government policy on shark finning worldwide.
When Sharkwater first played at the Toronto International Film Festival back in 2006, it was received with both critical and popular acclaim. It made TIFF’s list of the top ten Canadian films of the year, and had the largest opening weekend box office of any Canadian documentary.
On February 25th, Sharkwater- A Tribute to Rob Stewart events will be hosted at select Cineplex theatres across Canada. Tickets to the film are free in exchange for a donation to WWF-Canada, where funds will go towards supporting the continuation of Rob Stewart’s conservation work.
• The Park Theatre (Vancouver)
• Galaxy Cinemas Nanaimo
• SilverCity Victoria Cinemas
• Cineplex Odeon Eau Claire Market Cinemas (Calgary)
• Cineplex Odeon South Edmonton Cinemas
• Scotiabank Theatre Winnipeg
• Scotiabank Theatre Ottawa
• Cineplex Cinemas Empress Walk (Toronto)
• Cineplex Cinemas Yonge-Dundas and VIP (Toronto)
• Cineplex Cinemas Winston Churchill (Oakville)
• SilverCity Hamilton Mountain Cinemas
• SIlverCity London Cinemas
• SilverCity Windsor Cinemas
• Cineplex Cinemas Forum (Montreal)
• Cineplex Cinemas Park Lane (Halifax)
• Cineplex Cinemas Charlottetown
• Scotiabank Theatre St. John’s