After 6 years, Folk Alliance International Conference & Festival will return to Canada in 2019. Applications are now open for artists interested in showcasing February 2019 in Montreal, Quebec.
May 1, 2018: Official Showcase applications open
August 15, 2018 5pm CT: Official Showcase applications close
September 17, 2018: Official Showcase Artists notified
October 1, 2018: Official Showcase Artists announced publicly
October 19, 2018: Official Showcase Artists scheduled
Membership is not required to submit an application. All selected artists and accompanying musicians are required to be paid registrants of the conference.
All non-Canadian artists must be legally able to enter Canada and are responsible for acquiring all necessary travel permits including visas when necessary.
INELIGIBLE: Artists who had an Official Showcase in 2017 and a second Official Showcase in 2018 are not eligible to apply in 2019. They may still arrange Private Showcases in 2019 and are welcome to reapply for an Official Showcase for the 2020 conference. This policy ensures turnover and access to Official Showcases for our wide community of established and emerging artists.
In order not to compete with Folk Alliance International Official Showcases, and to maximize the community and career impact of presenter and industry attendance on-site, artists selected for an Official Showcase or as Music Camp instructors are not permitted to perform concerts within a 24 kilometer (15 mile) radius of the conference hotel between the hours of 4pm – 3am, February 13-16, 2019.
- This clause does not restrict Private Showcases at the conference, radio performances, media interviews, or in-store signings.
- Off-site events (within the above conference dates/times/distance) cannot be promoted in any advance communication to the FAI delegate list or in any on-site branding, advertising, announcements, or activity.
- Any use of the Folk Alliance International name or logo (in relation to an off-site event) must be approved in writing by FAI in advance of all events and promotion.
Official Showcase Application Fee
May 1, 2018 – May 31, 2018
FAI members $15, non-members $30
June 1, 2018 – July 31, 2018
FAI members $20, non-members $40
August 1, 2018 – August 15, 2018 (due by 5pm CST on Aug 15)
FAI members $25, non-members $50
Official Showcase application fees are non-refundable.
What You’ll Need to Complete the Application
- Credit card for application fee
- Contact information for the artist and all representation
- 50-word bio (3rd-person)
- Two different artist/band headshot photos (300dpi, color)
- Link to 1-2 audio files (note: the jury cannot review downloads, Dropbox or Google Drive files)
- Link to 1 video of a live performance of the proposed showcase format
- 2019/20 desired touring territory
- Link to highest profile media review received in the last 2 years
- Awards & recognition within the last 2 years
- Names/roles of all band members
- Stage plot (.pdf)
Download a sample application here. This printable copy of the online Official Showcase application is for preparation purposes only. FAI will only accept applications that are paid for and submitted online, NO MAIL-IN APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
If accepted for a showcase, artists are required to post that they are an Official Showcase artist on social media using the FAI provided badge. This action is part of the artist’s contract.
Official Showcases are “festival style” performances, meaning that there are no sound checks and the lighting is set. The performances are 30 minutes long with a 15 minute change over. All performances take place in hotel ballrooms. There is no guaranteed use of in-ear-monitors.
Official Showcase performances are not open to the public. There are no public tickets or guest passes available. All attendees of the Official Showcases must be registered delegates of the conference.
Discounted Registration Fee for Official Showcase Applicants
Applicants are guaranteed a discounted conference registration rate regardless of Official Showcase award status.
Please note that these rates are only for the artists and not for the support team (manager, agent, publicist, etc.). Support team members must register using standard registration rates.
Discounted rates are available to artists from outside North America and Official Showcase acts of 6 or more. Contact FAI for special pricing.
After you complete the Official Showcase application, you will receive an email with a discount code to use when registering to receive the discounted applicant rate.