By some distance, Charles Mingus, the innovative jazz musician, did one of the strangest thing I’ve found on the net. He created and wrote The Charles Mingus Cat Toilet Training Program, a simple little guide created for cat owners everywhere. This lost treasure lives up to the magic and creativity of Mingus’s performances. The trick to potty training your cat comes down to edging the litter box closer to the bathroom, gradually moving the box on the potty, and then cutting a hole in the center of the box. I wonder if it’ll work on kids? Nevermind, don’t tell me.
Charles Mingus Cat Toilet Training Program
First, you must train your cat to use a home-made cardboard litter box, if you have not already done so. (If your box does not have a one-piece bottom, add a cardboard that fits inside, so you have a false bottom that is smooth and strong. This way the box will not become soggy and fall out at the bottom. The grocery store will have extra flat cardboards which you can cut down to fit exactly inside your box.)
Be sure to use torn up newspaper, not kitty litter. Stop using kitty litter. (When the time comes you cannot put sand in a toilet.)
Once your cat is trained to use a cardboard box, start moving the box around the room, towards the bathroom. If the box is in a corner, move it a few feet from the corner, but not very noticeably. If you move it too far, he may go to the bathroom in the original corner. Do it gradually. You’ve got to get him thinking. Then he will gradually follow the box as you move it to the bathroom. (Important: if you already have it there, move it out of the bathroom, around, and then back. He has to learn to follow it. If it is too close to the toilet, to begin with, he will not follow it up onto the toilet seat when you move it there.) A cat will look for his box. He smells it.
Now, as you move the box, also start cutting the brim of the box down, so the sides get lower. Do this gradually.
Finally, you reach the bathroom and, eventually, the toilet itself. Then, one day, prepare to put the box on top of the toilet. At each corner of the box, cut a little slash. You can run string around the box, through these slashes, and tie the box down to the toilet so it will not fall off. Your cat will see it there and jump up to the box, which is now sitting on top of the toilet (with the sides cut down to only an inch or so.)
Don’t bug the cat now, don’t rush him, because you might throw him off. Just let him relax and go there for awhile-maybe a week or two. Meanwhile, put less and less newspaper inside the box.
One day, cut a small hole in the very center of his box, less than an apple-about the size of a plum-and leave some paper in the box around the hole. Right away he will start aiming for the hole and possibly even try to make it bigger. Leave the paper for awhile to absorb the waste. When he jumps up he will not be afraid of the hole because he expects it. At this point you will realize that you have won. The most difficult part is over.
From now on, it is just a matter of time. In fact, once when I was cleaning the box and had removed it from the toilet, my cat jumped up anyway and almost fell in. To avoid this, have a temporary flat cardboard ready with a little hole, and slide it under the toilet lid so he can use it while you are cleaning, in case he wants to come and go, and so he will not fall in and be scared off completely. You might add some newspaper up there too, while you are cleaning, in case your cat is not as smart as Nightlife was.
Now cut the box down completely until there is no brim left. Put the flat cardboard, which is left, under the lid of the toilet seat, and pray. Leave a little newspaper, still. He will rake it into the hole anyway, after he goes to the bathroom. Eventually, you can simply get rid of the cardboard altogether. You will see when he has got his balance properly.
Don’t be surprised if you hear the toilet flush in the middle of the night. A cat can learn how to do it, spurred on by his instinct to cover up. His main thing is to cover up. If he hits the flush knob accidentally and sees that it cleans the bowl inside, he may remember and do it intentionally.
Also, be sure to turn the toilet paper roll around so that it won’t roll down easily if the cat paws it. The cat is apt to roll it into the toilet, again with the intention of covering up- the way he would if there were still kitty litter.
It took me about three or four weeks to toilet train my cat, Nightlife. Most of the time is spent moving the box very gradually to the bathroom. Do it very slowly and don’t confuse him. And, remember, once the box is on the toilet, leave it a week or even two. The main thing to remember is not to rush or confuse him.
Good luck. Charles Mingus
Patti Smith, singer-songwriter, poet and visual artist who became a highly influential component of the New York City punk rock movement with her 1975 debut album Horses and hasn’t ever looked back. She gave out a list of her favorite books at the Melbourne International Arts Festival a few years ago. And while we’ve all grown understandably wary of lists these days, any book on this list of Smith’s recommendations will open your mind in any number of new and unexpected ways.
“The Master & Margarita” by Mikhail Bulgakov
“Journey To The East” by Hermann Hesse
“The Glass Bead Game” by Hermann Hesse
“Heart Of Darkness” by Joseph Conrad
“Moby Dick” by Herman Melville
“Billy Budd” by Herman Melville
“Songs Of Innocence” by William Blake
“The Wild Boys” by William Burroughs
“Howl” by Allen Ginsburg
“A Season In Hell” by Arthur Rimbaud
“Illuminations” by Arthur Rimbaud
“Wittgenstein’s Poker” by David Edmonds & John Eidinow
“Villette” by Charlotte Bronte
“The Process” by Brion Gysin
“Cain’s Book” by Alexander Trocchi
“Coriolanus” by William Shakespeare
“The Happy Prince” by Oscar Wilde
“The Sheltering Sky” by Paul Bowles
“Against Interpretation” by Susan Sontag
“The Oblivian Seekers” by Isabelle Eberhardt
“Women Of Cairo” by Gerard de Nerval
“Under The Volcano” by Malcom Lowery
“Dead Souls” by Nikolai Gogol
“The Book Of Disquiet” by Fernando Pessoa
“Death Of Virgil” by Herman Broch
“Raise High The Roof Beams Carpenter/ Franny & Zooey” by J.D. Salinger
“The Scarlet Letter” by Nathaniel Hawthorne
“A Night Of Serious Drinking” by Rene Daumal
“Swann In Love” by Marcel Proust
“A Happy Death” by Albert Camus
“The First Man” by Albert Camus
“The Waves” by Virginia Woolf
“Big Sur” by Jack Kerouac
anything by H.P. Lovecraft
anything by W.G. Sebald
“The Thief’s Journal” or anything by Jean Genet
“The Arcades Project” or anything by Walter Benjamin
“A Poet In New York” by Garcia Lorca
“The Lost Honor Of Katharina Blum” by Heinrich Boll
“The Palm Wine Drinkard” by Amos Tutuola
“Ice” by Anna Kavan (or anything by her)
“The Divine Proportion” by H.E. Huntley
“Nadja” by Andre Breton
Pandora’s 76.5 million active listeners represent over 9% of all radio listening in the U.S., and they have spoken by their thumbs. The service, which lets you teach it what to play by giving songs either a “thumbs up” or “thumbs down,” revealed that users have voted with their thumbs 50 billion times — the equivalent of seven thumbs for every person on Earth. So, what did they choose? Here you go.
10. The Fray, “How to Save a Life” — 15.6 million thumbs up
9. Adele, “Someone Like You” — 15.8 million thumbs up
8. Gotye, “Somebody That I Used to Know (feat. Kimbra)” — 16.2 million thumbs up
7. One Republic, “Counting Stars” — 16.3 million thumbs up
6. Maroon 5, “She Will Be Loved” — 17.1 million thumbs up
5. Goo Goo Dolls, “Iris” — 17.3 million thumbs up
4. Mario, “Let Me Love You” — 17.4 million thumbs up
3. Imagine Dragons, “Radioactive” — 18.3 million thumbs up
2. Drake, “The Motto” — 19.0 million thumbs up
1. Journey, “Don’t Stop Believin’” — 20.2 million thumbs up
Shazam has released the Top Ten Most Shazamed Artists and Tracks of 2014 below and see if your favorite hit made it to their lists.
They also gavean inside look into their predictions for Shazam’s Hit Makers of 2015. Take a look at their picks spanning pop, rock, country, dance and more – if you haven’t heard of them yet, I guarantee you will soon. Be the first to tune into these breakout artists and watch as they wow the world in the New Year.
Top Ten Most Shazamed Artists of 2014 in the US:
- John Legend
- Katy Perry
- Ed Sheeran
- Iggy Azalea
- Jason Derulo
- Nico & Vinz
Top Ten Most Shazamed Artists of 2014 Worldwide:
- David Guetta
- Ed Sheeran
- Katy Perry
- Jason Derulo
- Clean Bandit
- John Legend
- Calvin Harris
- Pharrell Williams
Top Ten Most Shazamed Songs of 2014 in the US
- John Legend “All of Me”
- Disclosure Feat. Sam Smith “Latch”
- Magic! “Rude”
- Nico & Vinz “Am I Wrong”
- Clean Bandit Feat. Jess Glynne “Rather Be”
- Meghan Trainor “All About That Bass”
- Katy Perry Feat. Juicy J “Dark Horse”
- Sam Smith “Stay With Me”
- Jeremih Feat. YG “Don’t Tell ‘Em”
- Pharrell Williams “Happy (Gru’s Theme from Despicable Me 2)”
Top Ten Most Shazamed Songs of 2014 Worldwide
- Clean Bandit Feat. Jess Glynne “Rather Be”
- John Legend “All Of Me”
- Lilly Wood & The Prick & Robin Schulz “Prayer in C (Robin Schulz Radio Edit)”
- Mr. Probz “Waves”
- Nico & Vinz “Am I Wrong”
- Magic! “Rude”
- Katy Perry Feat. Juicy J “Dark Horse”
- Pharrell Williams “Happy (Gru’s Theme from Despicable Me 2)”
- Milky Chance “Stolen Dance”
- Kiesza “Hideaway”
Shazam’s 2015 Hit Makers Predictions
Young Thug: Every track Young Thug has touched in 2014 has been massive. The next 12 months look bright for this 22 year old rapper.
Echosmith: This teenage band has slowly built over the last 16 months to become one of the most Shazamed acts in the US. Echomsith enters 2015 on a crest of a wave with “Cool Kids” having caught on and a successful summer headlining the Warped Tour.
Rae Sremmurd: Rae Sremmurd have had two of the biggest rap singles of the past six months. They’ve worked with Nicki Minaj and are currently being mentored by the in demand producer, Mike Will Made It.
Oliver Heldens: This Dutch 19 year old is already a massive DJ and a huge draw at festivals but 2015 could see him go to the next level of dance music stardom. His new track, ‘Koala’, is currently one of the most reactive dance records on Shazam.
DeJ Loaf: This Detroit rapper has had one of the breakthrough songs of the year with ‘Try Me’. She’s now been signed to Columbia and Drake’s a noted fan. Her new mixtape is already receiving a great reaction on Shazam.
Sam Hunt: Sam Hunt is set up to be one of the next big country music stars. His song ‘Leave The Night On’ was the second most Shazamed Country song of 2014 and his album is already receiving a massive reaction with Shazam users.
James Bay: This British singer songwriter is already being talked about as the next Ed Sheeran. His songs have been hugely reactive from minimal radio play- most notable from a few early spins on Radio One in the UK.
Maddie & Tae: This act has been number one in Shazam’s Country charts for over 8 weeks. The Texan duo may be headed for cross-over success when their album drops sometime next year.
Years & Years: This English act could be the next big pop act. They were featured on ‘Sunlight’ by The Magician, a big radio hit in Europe. Their debut album is expected sometime in 2015.
Tchami: This French producer is one of the few acts that have broken into the Shazam charts with only specialist radio and club playing his music. His song, ‘Promesses’, is going to be a big cross over hit early next year.
Raury: This 18 year old Atlanta born singer has a sound influenced by Andre 3000, Bon Iver and Frank Ocean. He’s drawn comparisons to Lorde and is featured on the new Huger Games soundtrack – incidentally curated by Lorde herself.
With millions of visitors per day ExtraTorrent is one of the largest torrent sites on the Internet. Founded in 2006 the site has been around for a while, steadily growing its user base.
Over the years ExtraTorrent users have downloaded billions of files, and this week the site revealed the top 20 most pirated files of all time. The data gives a unique insight into the downloading habits of torrent users and comes with a few surprises.
The rest of the top 20, all music and movies, are listed below. While no exact download counts are provided the ExtraTorrent team told us that the top ten were downloaded at least 10 million times. While this data only applies to ExtraTorrent it’s a decent representation of what’s popular on other torrent sites as well.
1. Drake – Nothing Was The Same (Mp3 Album)
2. Maroon 5 – Payphone (feat.WizKhalifa Explicit) (Mp3 Track)
3. Jay-Z – Magna Carta Holy Grail (Mp3 Album)
4. Iron Man 3
5. The Expendables 3
6. Fast And Furious 6
7. The Hunger Games
9. The Hobbit – The Desolation of Smaug
9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
10. The Amazing Spider-Man
11. Beyonce – 4 Deluxe Edition (Mp3 Album)
12. The Wolf of Wall Street
13. Rihanna – Unapologetic (Mp3 Album)
14. Lil Wayne – No Ceilings (Mp3 Album)
15. Justin Timberlake – The 20/20 Experience (Mp3 Album)
16. Daft Punk – Get Lucky
17. Kick (Bollywood movie)
18. Ariana Grande – Problem (ft. Iggy Azalea) (Mp3 Track)
19. Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides
20. Avengers XXX – (XXX)
Today iTunes released iTunes Best Of 2014 for Canada, highlighting the favourite music, movies, tv, apps, and books of Canadians. (Charts Below)
Pharrell topped the songs chart with his hit Happy from the Despicable Me 2 soundtrack, while Taylor Swift is #1 on the Albums chart, with her single Shake it Off being the 7th most downloaded song of the year.
Frozen dominated iTunes downloads in 2014. It became iTunes’ #2 selling album of 2014 (including the Oscar-winning theme song Let It Go) while cementing itself as the top selling iTunes movie of all-time. Additionally, the Frozen Free Fall app was one of the top downloads in the App Store in 2014. You can see that 2014 really is the “year of the book turned movies” while in apps, messaging apps remain popular with Facebook Messenger and Snapchat battling for top spot throughout 2014.
In addition to the best seller charts, iTunes designates overall winners for the year – including Best Canadian Movie.
- In Music,Taylor Swift is named Best Artist of the year, while Jungle wins Best Album. Iggy Azalea – “Fancy (feat. Charli XCX) is Best Song while Sam Smith wins Best New Artist.
- In Movies, Guardians of the Galaxy is Movie of the Year, The LEGO Movie is Best Family Movie, Boyhood is named for Best Director while Mommy is Best Canadian Movie.
- In TV, Fargo is TV Show of the Year, True Detective is Best Performance, Serie Noire tops the French Language Series category, while Outlander is the Best Book Adaptation.
- In Apps, Pixelmator is named iPad App of the Year, Monument Valley is iPad Game of the Year, Elevate-Brain Training is iPhone App of the Year while Threes is iPhone Game of the Year.
- In Books, Miriam Toews’ All My Puny Sorrows is Our Favourite: Fiction (English), Naomi Klein’s This Changes Everything is Our Favourite Nonfiction (English) while Michael Delisle’s Le Feu de mon père is our Favourite Fiction (French) and Chantal Hebert’s Confessions post-référendaires is Our Favourite Nonfiction (French).
1. Happy (From “Despicable Me 2”) – Pharrell Williams
2. All of Me – John Legend
3. Dark Horse (feat. Juicy J) – Katy Perry
4. Say Something – Christina Aguilera, A Great Big World
5. Fancy (feat. Charli XCX) – Iggy Azalea
6. Come With Me Now – KONGOS
7. Shake it Off – Taylor Swift
8. Stay With Me – Sam Smith
9. Summer – Calvin Harris
10. Turn Down For What – Lil Jon, DJ Snake
1. 1989 (Deluxe Edition) – Taylor Swift
2. Frozen (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) – Various Artists
3. Ghost Stories – Coldplay
4. x (Deluxe Edition) – Ed Sheeran
5. BEYONCÉ – Beyoncé
6. In the Lonely Hour (Deluxe Version)-Sam Smith
7. Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix, Vol. 1 (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)-Various Artists
8. Turn Blue-The Black Keys
9. Ultraviolence (Deluxe) – Lana Del Rey
10. The Marshall Mathers LP2 (Deluxe) Eminem
2. The Lego Movie
3. The Wolf of Wall Street
4. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
5. Captain Phillips
6. Thor: The Dark World
8. The Other Woman
9. 12 Years A Slave
1. Game of Thrones
2. Downtown Abbey
3. Sons of Anarchy
5. The Walking Dead
6. Mad Men
9. True Detective
Top iPhone Apps Paid
1. Minecraft – Pocket Edition
2. Heads Up!
4. 7 Minute Workout Challenge
5. Plague Inc.
6. Geometry Dash
7. Cut the Rope 2
8. Sleep Cycle alarm clock
9. THE GAME OF LIFE Classic Edition
10. Bloons TD 5
Top iPhone Apps Free
1. Facebook Messenger
4. Piano Tiles (Don’t Tap The White Tile)
7. Google Maps
9. Candy Crush Saga
10. WhatsApp Messenger
Top iPad App Paid
1. Minecraft – Pocket Edition
2. Heads Up!
3. Cut the Rope 2
4. The Room Two
6. Geometry Dash
7. Hide N Seek: Mini Game With Worldwide Multiplayer
9. Plants vs. Zombies HD
Top iPad Apps Free
1. Skype for iPad
4. Facebook Messenger
5. The Weather Network for iPad
6. Google Maps
7. Candy Crush Saga
8. Calculator for iPad Free
Best Selling Books: Fiction (ENGLISH)
1. The Fault in Our Stars -John Green
2. Gone Girl -Gillian Flynn
- Insurgent -Veronica Roth
4. Allegiant-Veronica Roth
5. Divergent-Veronica Roth
6. The Goldfinch-Donna Tartt
7. Written in My Own Heart’s Blood-Diana Gabaldon
8. Edge of Eternity-Ken Follett
9. Fifty Shades of Grey-E L James
10. The Target-David Baldacci
Best Selling Books: Non-Fiction (ENGLISH)
- A House in the Sky-Amanda Lindhout
2. Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt-Michael Lewis
3. Finding Me-Michelle Knight,Michelle Burford
4. The Body Book-Cameron Diaz
5. Orange Is the New Black-Piper Kerman
6. The Wolf of Wall Street-Jordan Belfort
7. An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth-Chris Hadfield
8. Not That Kind of Girl-Lena Dunham
9. Unbroken-Laura Hillenbrand
10. Crazy Town-Robyn Doolittle
Best Selling Books – FRENCH
- Central Park-Guillaume Musso
2. Cinquante nuances de Grey-E L James
3. Cinquante nuances plus claires-E L James
4. Cinquante nuances plus sombres-E L James
5. Une autre idée du bonheur-Marc Levy
6. Rouge Poison-Michèle Marineau
7. Malphas 4. Grande Liquidation-Patrick Senécal
8. Oscar et la dame rose-Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt
9. Mauvaise foi-Marie Laberge
10. Mensonges sur le Plateau Mont-Royal Tome 2-Michel David
John Cage was an avant-garde composer whose work has left a lasting influence on contemporary music. (Thom York of Radiohead calls Cage one of his all-time heroes.) Cage’s work included such experimentation as using a prepared piano (meaning objects are placed inside the piano to alter the sound) and a composition called 433, in which the musicians make no sounds at all for four minutes and thirty-three seconds.
RULE ONE: Find a place you trust, and then try trusting it for awhile.
RULE TWO: General duties of a studentpull everything out of your teacher; pull everything out of your fellow students.
RULE THREE: General duties of a teacherpull everything out of your students.
RULE FOUR: Consider everything an experiment.
RULE FIVE: Be self-disciplined: this means finding someone wise or smart and choosing to follow them. To be disciplined is to follow in a good way. To be self-disciplined is to follow in a better way.
RULE SIX: Nothing is a mistake. There’s no win and no fail, there’s only make.
RULE SEVEN: The only rule is work. If you work it will lead to something. It’s the people who do all of the work all of the time who eventually catch on to things.
RULE EIGHT: Dont try to create and analyze at the same time. They’re different processes.
RULE NINE: Be happy whenever you can manage it. Enjoy yourself. It’s lighter than you think.
RULE TEN: We’re breaking all the rules. Even our own rules. And how do we do that? By leaving plenty of room for X quantities.
HINTS: Always be around. Come or go to everything. Always go to classes. Read anything you can get your hands on. Look at movies carefully, often. Save everythingit might come in handy later.
From Corita Kents book Learning by Heart: Teachings to Free the Creative Spirit
It’s that time again, folks. Today SXSW announced through second round of Showcasing Artists for the 2015 SXSW Music Festival!
This round includes acts spanning a wide breadth of styles from all over the world. This March at SXSW Music, you can experience the ’60s psych-pop sounds of Dutch singer-songwriter Jacco Gardner, UK post-punk legends Gang of Four, the US debut of Cuban hip-hop duo Los Aldeanos, Berlin-based Cómeme DJ Matias Aguayo and Hyperdub producer Ikonika. Also included on this list are Twin Shadow and ’90s shoegaze legends Swervedriver, which were announced earlier this month.
Stay on top of the hundreds of acts already announced for next year’s event with SXSWfm. Free apps are available for iPhone and Android. SXSWfm also aired an exclusive preview of round two artists on Monday; the show is available to stream here until Tuesday, December 2.
Browse the full list of second round artists below; you can see the full list of announced artistshere. Don’t miss the diversity of music at SXSW 2015 – register before prices increase this Friday, November 21!
Matías Aguayo (Berlin GERMANY)
Lydia Ainsworth (Toronto CANADA)
The Amazing Snakeheads (Glasgow UK-SCOTLAND)
Kimberly Anne (London UK-ENGLAND)
Asian Chairshot (Seoul SOUTH KOREA)
AWOLNATION (Los Angeles CA)
Babes (Los Angeles CA)
Bad Vibes (Oakland CA)
The Ballroom Thieves (Boston MA)
Del Barber (Winnipeg CANADA)
Beat Connection (Seattle WA)
BeatKing (Houston TX)
Beaty Heart (London UK-ENGLAND)
BJ The Chicago Kid (Chicago IL)
Black Violin (Miami FL)
Guy Blakeslee (Los Angeles LA)
The Blind Shake (Minneapolis MN)
Suzy Bogguss (Nashville TN)
BØRNS (Los Angeles CA )
The Bros. Landreth (Winnipeg CANADA)
Tom Brosseau (Los Angeles CA)
B.Traits (London England UK-ENGLAND)
Cairo Knife Fight (Auckland NEW ZEALAND)
Cancer Bats (Toronto CANADA)
Capitan Tifus (Buenos Aires ARGENTINA)
Blake Carrington (Toronto CANADA)
Cathedrals (San Francisco CA)
Chancha Via Circuito (Buenos Aires ARGENTINA)
ChoZe (Atlanta GA)
Christian S (Cologne GERMANY)
Chui (Zagreb CROATIA)
Cinematic Experience (Berlin GERMANY)
CJ Fly (Brooklyn NY)
Coffeehouse (Santiago CHILE)
Amy Cook (Austin TX)
The Cribs (Wakefield UK-ENGLAND)
Denzel Curry (Miami FL)
Karla da Silva (São Paulo BRAZIL)
Dear Boy (Los Angeles CA)
Death Valley Girls (Los Angeles CA)
Delhi 2 Dublin (Vancouver CANADA)
Robert DeLong (Los Angeles CA)
DeLorean (Houston TX)
The Deslondes (New Orleans LA)
The Digital Wild (Austin TX)
Marianne Dissard (Paris FRANCE)
The Districts (Philadelphia PA)
DJ Blue Hawaii (Montreal CANADA)
DJ Earl (Chicago IL)
DJ Halo (Oakland CA)
DJ HVAD (Copenhagen DENMARK)
DJ Spinn (New York NY)
Doeman (Houston TX)
Doughbeezy (Houston TX)
Dream Koala (Paris FRANCE)
Dr. Rackle And The Sound Griots (New Orleans LA)
DJ Duffey (Dallas TX)
The Dunwells (Leeds UK-ENGLAND)
East India Youth (London UK-ENGLAND)
ELEL (Nashville TN)
Ellie Herring (Lexington KY)
Elvis Depressedly (Asheville NC)
Escort (Brooklyn NY)
Javier Escovedo and the City Lights (San Diego CA)
EX-CULT (Memphis TN)
Sean Falyon (Atlanta GA)
Famasloop (Miami FL)
Father (Atlanta GA)
Fielded (New York NY)
The fin. (Tokyo JAPAN)
Diana Fuentes (San Juan PUERTO RICO)
Gang Of Four (London UK-ENGLAND)
Gang Of Youths (Sydney AUSTRALIA)
Garden City Movement (Tel Aviv ISRAEL)
Gateway Drugs (Los Angeles CA)
Jacco Gardner (Amsterdam THE NETHERLANDS)
Ghost Magnet Roach Motel (Tijuana MEXICO)
Giant³ Sand (Tucson AZ)
Girl Pilot (Austin TX)
Good Harvest (Falun SWEDEN)
Philipp Gorbachev (Berlin GERMANY)
Jon Dee Graham (Austin TX)
William Harries Graham (Austin TX)
Grand Analog (Toronto CANADA)
Gyptian (King Western JAMAICA)
Monica Heldal (Oslo NORWAY)
HEO (Seoul SOUTH KOREA)
Hiatus Kaiyote (Melbourne AUSTRALIA)
Highly Suspect (Brooklyn NY)
Hippo Campus (Minneapolis MN)
Ho9909 (Newark NJ)
Reuben Hollebon (Norfolk UK-ENGLAND)
HOLYCHILD (Los Angeles CA)
Holy Esque (East Kilbride UK-SCOTLAND)
I Am Giant (Auckland NEW ZEALAND)
Ice Prince (Lagos NIGERIA)
Ikonika (London UK-ENGLAND)
Iyanya (Lagos NIGERIA)
Jamestown Revival (Austin TX)
Mick Jenkins (Chicago IL)
July Talk (Toronto CANADA)
Kaleo (Mosfellsbær ICELAND)
Kawehi (Eudora KS)
Tori Kelly (Los Angeles CA)
KEN mode (Winnipeg CANADA)
Kill! Kill! Pussycat! (Ange SWEDEN)
Victoria Kimani (Los Angeles CA)
Elle King (Brooklyn NY)
King Tuff (Brattleboro VT)
Natasha Kmeto (Portland OR)
Kosha Dillz (Los Angeles CA)
La Luz (Seattle WA)
La Mecanica Popular (New York NY)
Nikki Lane (Greenville SC)
La Sabrosura Dura (Bogota COLOMBIA)
Laza (Springfield MA)
Lazyeyes (Brooklyn NY)
Lenka (Sydney AUSTRALIA)
LIL J (Austin TX)
LITE (Tokyo JAPAN)
Longfellow (Brockley UK-ENGLAND)
Los Aldeanos (Havana CUBA)
The Lowest Pair (Olympia WA)
Lowkey (Austin TX)
Austin Lucas (Bloomington IN)
Macaco (SPAIN) (Barcelona SPAIN)
The Magnettes (Lulea SWEDEN)
Mallory Knox (Ely UK-ENGLAND)
Mansionair (Sydney AUSTRALIA)
MANTAR (Hamburg GERMANY)
Mao Loading (Bogota COLOMBIA)
The Mastersons (Austin TX)
Mighty Oaks (Berlin GERMANY)
Mirror Travel (Austin TX)
Chris Mitchell (Houston TX)
Moe Gang (Houston TX)
Machel Montano (Port of Spain TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO)
Moon City Boys (Stockholm SWEDEN)
Moon Honey (Los Angeles CA)
Ian Moore (Seattle WA)
Bob Moses (New York NY)
Mother Falcon (Austin TX)
Motopony (Seattle WA)
Mr Play (London UK-ENGLAND)
The Mud Howlers (Mexico City MEXICO)
Mumiy Troll (Vladivostok RUSSIA)
My Jerusalem (Austin TX)
Mysonne (New York NY)
The Mystery Lights (Brooklyn NY)
Israel Nash (Dripping Springs TX)
Lukas Nelson & Promise Of The Real (Venice CA)
Night School (Oakland CA)
Nihils (Waidring AUSTRIA)
Northcote (Victoria CANADA)
Nyla (Kingston JAMAICA)
O Amor Existe (Porto Alegre BRAZIL)
Odesza (Seattle WA)
Adil Omar (Islamabad PAKISTAN)
Only Real (London UK-ENGLAND)
Paul Oscher (Austin TX)
Oso Leone (Palma de Mallorca SPAIN)
The Painted Redstarts (Austin TX)
Pale Seas (Southampton UK-ENGLAND)
Percance (San Jose COSTA RICA)
Josiel Perez’s AC Jazz Project (Los Angeles CA)
Pompeya (Moscow RUSSIA)
Jay Prince (London UK-ENGLAND)
Chuck Prophet (San Francisco CA)
Public Access T.V. (New York NY)
Public Service Broadcasting (London UK-ENGLAND)
PUJOL (Columbia TN)
Quorum (Tokyo JAPAN)
Quiet Company (Austin TX)
Rainy Milo (London UK-ENGLAND)
Rival Consoles (London UK-ENGLAND)
Daniel Romano (Welland ON CANADA)
Peter Rosenberg (New York NY)
Daniel Roure Quartet (Toulon FRANCE)
Sadat X (New Rochelle NY)
Samini (Accra GHANA)
San Fermin (Brooklyn NY)
Sango (Seattle WA)
Saukrates (Toronto CANADA)
Sean Paul (Kingston JAMAICA)
Hunter Sharpe (Austin TX)
Andy Shauf (Regina CANADA)
Sicko Mobb (Chicago IL)
Samantha Savage Smith (Calgary CANADA)
Snootie Wild (Memphis TN)
Socalled (Montreal CANADA)
Sol (Seattle WA)
Sonido San Francisco (Xonacatlán MEXICO)
Sophie (London UK-ENGLAND)
Southern Hospitality (London UK-ENGLAND)
SPEAK (Austin TX)
George Stancell (Longview TX)
Peggy Stern Trio (Austin TX)
Sungod (Austin TX)
Surfer Blood (West Palm Beach FL)
S U R V I V E (Austin TX)
Sweater Beats (Brooklyn NY)
Swervedriver (Oxford UK-ENGLAND)
Time For Three (Philadelphia PA)
The Ting Tings (Manchester UK-ENGLAND)
Trixie Trainwreck (Berlin GERMANY)
Tropics (London UK-ENGLAND)
Truth Universal (New Orleans LA)
TsuShiMaMiRe (Tokyo JAPAN)
Turbo Fruits (Nashville TN)
Benny Turner and Real Blues (New Orleans LA)
Twin Danger (Brooklyn NY)
Twin Shadow (Los Angeles CA)
Jonathan Tyler (Dallas TX)
Velvet Caravan (Savannah GA)
The Velvet Teen (Santa Rosa CA)
Victim Mentality (Seoul SOUTH KOREA)
Vision Fortune (London UK-ENGLAND)
The Voyeurs (London UK-ENGLAND)
MACK WARBUCKZ (Atlanta GA)
Wardell (Los Angeles CA)
Water Liars (Oxford MS)
Juan Wauters (New York NY)
Wave Chapelle (Milwaukee WI)
Weyes Blood (New York City NY)
Whiskey Shivers (Austin TX)
Wild Throne (Bellingham WA)
Alex Wiley (Chicago IL)
Roosh Williams (Houston TX)
Lena Willikens (Cologne GERMANY)
Wolf Alice (London UK-ENGLAND)
Worldwide (San Antonio TX)
Xu Xu Fang (Mar Vista CA)
YB (Seoul SOUTH KOREA)
Young Empires (Toronto CANADA)
Your Old Droog (Brooklyn NY)
Yukon Blonde (Vancouver CANADA)
Yung Gleesh (Washington DC)
Zionstereo (Cali COLOMBIA)
The Zoltars (Austin TX)
The Zombies (St Albans UK-ENGLAND)
Zookeeper (Austin TX)
Zooly Gvng (Atlanta GA)
Yumi Zouma (Christchurch NEW ZEALAND)
Jack Bruce, best known as one third of Cream, has died of liver disease. In a statement issued by his family on Saturday, his family said: ““It is with great sadness that we, Jack’s family, announce the passing of our beloved Jack: husband, father, granddad, and all round legend. The world of music will be a poorer place without him but he lives on in his music and forever in our hearts.”
To pay tribute, here are 25 Things You Need To Know About Jack Bruce.
1. Bruce was born to musical parents who moved frequently, resulting in the young Bruce attending 14 different schools.
2. He won a scholarship to the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, while playing in Jim McHarg’s Scotsville Jazzband to support himself. The Academy disapproved of its students playing jazz. “They found out,” Bruce told Musician correspondent Jim Macnie, “and said ‘you either stop, or leave college.’ So I left college.”
3. Bruce was trained as a classical cellist, and he considered himself a jazz musician, although much of he’s really more known for music that tended toward blues and rock and roll.
4. In 1962, Bruce became a member of the London-based band Blues Incorporated, led by Alexis Korner, in which he played the upright bass. The band also included organist Graham Bond, saxophonist Dick Heckstall-Smith and drummer Ginger Baker.
5. In 1963, the group broke up and Bruce went on to form the Graham Bond Quartet with Bond, Baker, and guitarist John McLaughlin. They played an eclectic range of music genres, including bebop, blues and rhythm and blues. As a result of session work at this time, Bruce switched from the upright bass to the electric bass guitar.
6. As a result of session work at this time, Bruce switched from the upright bass to the electric bass guitar.
7. After leaving the Graham Bond Quartet, Bruce recorded a solo single, “I’m Gettin Tired”, for Polydor Records. He soon after joined John Mayall and his John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers group, which featured guitarist Eric Clapton.
8. After the Bluesbreakers, Bruce tasted his first commercial success as a member of Manfred Mann in 1966, including “Pretty Flamingo” which reached number one in the UK singles chart.
9. It was his first of two number one singles – the other being an uncredited bass part on The Scaffold’s “Lily the Pink.”
10. While with Manfred Mann, Bruce again collaborated with Eric Clapton as a member of Powerhouse, which also featured the Spencer Davis Group vocalist Steve Winwood credited as Steve Anglo. The 3 tracks were featured on the Elektra sampler album What’s Shakin’. Two of the songs, “Crossroads” and “Steppin’ Out”, became staples in the live set of his next band – Cream.
11. Bruce, with his Gibson EB-3 electric bass, became one of the most famous bassists in rock, winning musicians’ polls and influencing the next generation of bassists such as Sting, Geddy Lee and Jeff Berlin. Bruce co-wrote most of Cream’s single releases with lyricist Pete Brown, including the hits, “Sunshine of Your Love”, “White Room”, and “I Feel Free”.
12. In 1968, Cream broke up.
13. In 1972, Bruce formed a blues rock power trio, West, Bruce & Laing. Besides Bruce, the group included singer/guitarist Leslie West and drummer Corky Laing, both formerly of the Cream-influenced American band Mountain. West, Bruce & Laing produced two studio albums, Why Dontcha and Whatever Turns You On, and one live album, Live ‘n’ Kickin’.
14. In 1973, Bruce recorded bass guitar for Lou Reed’s Berlin album playing on all but two tracks.
15. A 1975 tour was lined up to support the Out of the Storm album with a band featuring former Rolling Stones guitarist Mick Taylor and jazz keyboard player Carla Bley, with whom he had collaborated in 1971 on Escalator over the Hill. The tour was documented on Live ’75 (at Manchester’s Free Trade Hall), but it ended with Taylor’s departure, and no studio album was completed.
16. In the late 70s, Bruce formed new bands with musicians such as Simon Phillips, members from the Mahavishnu Orchestra, John McLaughlin, Billy Cobham. A 3-CD collection of his 1970s BBC recordings called Spirit was released in 2008.
17. By 1979, Bruce’s drug habit had reached such a level that he had lost most of his money. He kept touring and recording with Robin Trower, Bruce Gary from The Knack, and Anton Fier’s Golden Palominos.
18. In 1989, Bruce began recording material with Ginger Baker and released another solo album, A Question of Time. Baker and Bruce toured the United States at turn of the decade. Bruce played at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1990, and was invited by Irish blues rock performer, Rory Gallagher (who had a long-standing relationship with Bruce, having supported Cream’s farewell concert in the band Taste in 1968) to perform a couple of songs together onstage.
19. Bruce had suffered a period of declining health, and in 2003 was diagnosed with liver cancer. In September 2003, he underwent a liver transplant, which was almost fatal, as his body initially rejected the new organ.
20. In May 2005, he reunited with former Cream bandmates Clapton and Baker for a series of well-received concerts at London’s Royal Albert Hall, released as the album Royal Albert Hall London May 2–3–5–6 2005, and New York’s Madison Square Garden.
21. In October 2009, Bruce performed at the 50th anniversary of Ronnie Scott’s Club with the Ronnie Scott’s Blues Band. After garnering good reviews, three further dates at the club were added in March 2010.
22. At the 2011 North American Music Merchants Show, Bruce became only the third recipient of the International Bassist Award, a lifetime achievement award for bassists, after Jaco Pastorius and Nathan Watts. Asked whom he regards as the best bass players in pop and rock history: “If you’re talking electric bass, it’s very, very simple: James Jamerson, Paul McCartney, Jaco Pastorius, me.”
23. “Spectrum Road” was released in June 2012 by the US jazz record label Palmetto Records. It was accompanied by a series of dates at large jazz festivals in North America and Europe throughout June and July.
24. Bruce released new studio album “Silver Rails” in March 2014 on the Esoteric Antenna, his first solo studio album in over a decade. “Silver Rails” was recorded at Abbey Road Studios in London and features contributions from Cream (band) lyricists Pete Brown, Kip Hanrahan and wife Margrit Seyffer as well as musicians Robin Trower, Cindy Blackman, Phil Manzanera, Uli Jon Roth, John Medeski and Bernie Marsden. Bruce’s son Malcolm Bruce pre-produced the album and played guitar on several tracks and Bruce’s daughter Aruba Red was featured on “Hidden Cities” singing backing vocals.
25. “We all have roles in life. I’m a dad, a husband, this and that, but basically I only feel justified in being alive when I’m on the stage.”