On November 17, A&M will release The Vinyl Collection, a new career-spanning 12-LP vinyl box set chronicling the recorded output of one of the most celebrated and best loved duos in pop/rock history, the Carpenters.
The Carpenters’ The Vinyl Collection box set includes all 12 albums replicated on 180-gram black vinyl and housed in a stylish slipcase. Each album features lovingly restored original packaging and related artwork. Mastered for vinyl by Ron McMaster (The Beach Boys, Don McLean) at Capitol Studios in Los Angeles, each album will also be released individually. The box set does not include their two Christmas albums.
This unprecedented box-set collection chronicles the runaway success of the Carpenters’ super-successful 14-year career, which resulted in 11 studio albums and a greatest hits collection, The Singles 1969 – 1973, that has been certified at seven-times platinum and features such indelible chart-topping hits as We’ve Only Just Begun, Top of the World, Superstar, Rainy Days and Mondays, Goodbye to Love, Yesterday Once More, It’s Going to Take Some Time, Sing, For All We Know, Hurting Each Other, and (They Long to Be) Close to You.
The Carpenters – vocalist/drummer Karen and her older brother, pianist/composer/arranger Richard – are one of the most successful sibling duos in pop/rock history, having garnered over 100 million album and singles sales to date. Their unique blend of smooth vocal harmonies and classically influenced pop arrangements frequently vaulted them to the top of the charts, resulting in three No. 1 singles and five No. 2 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 and a dozen Top 10 singles overall, not to mention an astonishing 15 No. 1s on the Adult Contemporary chart.
Karen and Richard have more than earned their superstar standing as one of the world’s most popular and bestselling duos of all time, and their influence as songwriters, performers, and composers spans multiple generations and genres. The Carpenters have long elicited critical praise as well as numerous accolades from their contemporaries, from such notable artists as Paul McCartney, Gwen Stefani, Michael Jackson, and Beyoncé. Showing the scope of their reach, the 1994 If I Were a Carpenter tribute album showcased entries from alternative-rock icons ranging from Sonic Youth (Superstar), Shonen Knife (Top of the World), The Cranberries ((They Long to Be) Close to You), Sheryl Crow (Solitaire), and Matthew Sweet (Let Me Be the One), to name but a few.
The Carpenters were nominated for numerous GRAMMY Awards throughout their storied career, and they won three of them: Best New Artist (1970), Best Contemporary Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group or Chorus for (They Long to Be) Close to You (1970), and Best Pop Vocal Performance for a Duo or Group for Carpenters (1971). Two of their most cherished songs have also been inducted in the GRAMMY Hall of Fame: (They Long to Be) Close to You and We’ve Only Just Begun. Following Karen’s untimely death in 1983, the Carpenters received a well-deserved star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
No matter what your walk of life is, the Carpenters have a song that touches your soul and finds a place where there’s room to grow.
The Carpenters The Vinyl Collection
- Ticket to Ride (1969)
- Close to You (1970)
- Carpenters (1971)
- A Song for You (1972)
- Now & Then (1973)
- Horizon (1975)
- A Kind of Hush (1976)
- Passage (1977)
- Made in America (1981)
- Voice of the Heart (1983)
- Lovelines (1989)
- The Singles 1969 – 1973
A KIND OF HUSH
This album was the Carpenters’ 7th studio release and included both original recordings and cover tunes. It included “A Kind of Hush (All Over The World)” which was successful in both the U.S. and the UK and was originally recorded by Herman’s Hermits in the 1960’s.
- There’s A Kind Of Hush (Side A) 2. You (Side A) 3. Sandy (Side A) 4. Goofus (Side A) 5. Can’t Smile Without You (Side A)
- I Need To Be In Love (Side B) 7. One More Time (Side B) 8. Boat To Sail (Side B) 9. I Have You (Side B) 10.Breaking Up Is Hard To Do (Side B)
A SONG FOR YOU
Critics agree that A Song For You was the highpoint of the Carpenters’ recording career. The album showcased songwriting by Richard Carpenter, Carole King, Leon Russell and more. Packed with hits, “Top of The World” became one of the most popular songs of the decade.
- A Song For You (Side A) 2. Top Of The World (Side A) 3. Hurting Each Other (Side A) 4. It’s Going To Take Some Time (Side A) 5. Goodbye To Love (Side A) 6. Intermission (Side A)
- Bless The Beasts And Children (Side B) 8. Flat Baroque (Side B) 9. Piano Picker (Side B) 10.I Won’t Last A Day Without You (Side B) 11.Crystal Lullaby (Side B) 12.Road Ode (Side B) 13.A Song For You (Reprise) (Side B)
Carpenters is the third studio album from the Carpenters, originally released in 1971. The record is most notable for two of the duo’s strongest and best-loved singles. “Rainy Days and Mondays” and “Superstar.”
- Rainy Days And Mondays (Side A) 2. Saturday (Side A) 3. Let Me Be The One (Side A) 4. (A Place To) Hide Away (Side A) 5. For All We Know (Lovers And Other Strangers Soundtrack) (Side A)
- Superstar (Side B) 7. Druscilla Penny (Side B) 8. One Love (Side B) 9. Knowing When To Leave (Bacharach/David Medley) (Side B) 10.Sometimes (Side B)
CLOSE TO YOU
When released in 1970, the Carpenters 2nd studio album rose to #2 on the Billboard Top 200 chart and gained them international success. The album contains the hit singles “(They Long to Be) Close to You” and “We’ve Only Just Begun”.
- We’ve Only Just Begun (Side A) 2. Love Is Surrender (Side A) 3. Maybe It’s You (Side A) 4. Reason To Believe (Side A) 5. Help (Side A) 6. (They Long To Be) Close To You (Side A)
- Baby It’s You (Side B) 8. I’ll Never Fall In Love Again (Side B) 9. Crescent Noon (Side B) 10.Mr. Guder (Side B) 11.I Kept On Loving You (Side B) 12.Another Song (Side B)
Horizon was the sixth consecutive platinum-certified album by the musical duo, Carpenters. The album’s first single, “Please Mr. Postman”, became the album’s biggest hit single and also the Carpenters’ biggest hit single worldwide. It reached no. 1 in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and South Africa.
- Aurora (Side A) 2. Only Yesterday (Side A) 3. Desperado (Side A) 4. Please Mr. Postman (Side A) 5. I Can Dream, Can’t I? (Side A)
- Solitaire (Side B) 7. Happy (Side B) 8. (I’m Caught Between) Goodbye And I Love You (Side B) 9. Love Me For What I Am (Side B) 10. Eventide (Side B)
Lovelines commemorated the duo’s 20-year association with A&M Records, though Karen had passed away six years before. Ten of the 12 tracks were recorded for other albums but were not included for various reasons; two are remixes of previously released material. Richard penned the liner notes, which give some insight into the history of the pieces.
- Lovelines (Side A) 2. Where Do I Go From Here (Side A) 3. The Uninvited Guest (Side A) 4. If We Try (Side A) 5. When I Fall In Love (Side A) 6. Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night (Side A)
- Remember When Lovin’ Took All Night (Side B) 8. You’re The One (Side B) 9. Honolulu City Lights (Side B) 10.Slow Dance (Side B) 11.If I Had You (Side B) 12.Little Girl Blue (Side B)
MADE IN AMERICA
Released in June 1981, Made in America is the tenth album by Carpenters, and was the final album by the duo to be released during Karen Carpenter’s lifetime.
- Those Good Old Dreams (Side A) 2. Strength Of A Woman (Side A) 3. (Want You) Back In My Life Again (Side A) 4. When You’ve Got What It Takes (Side A) 5. Somebody’s Been Lyin’ (Side A)
- I Believe You (Side B) 7. Touch Me When We’re Dancing (Side B) 8. When It’s Gone (It’s Just Gone) (Side B) 9. Beechwood 4-5789 (Side B) 10.Because We Are In Love (The Wedding Song) (Side B)
NOW & THEN
Now & Then is the fifth album from the Carpenters, released in 1973. The title for the album was suggested by Richard and Karen’s mother. The album featured a three-panel cover that folded out, showing a panoramic view of Karen and Richard Carpenter driving past the Carpenter family home in Downey, California. The car pictured on the cover was a 1973 Ferrari owned by Richard.
- Sing (Side A) 2. This Masquerade (Side A) 3. Heather (Side A) 4. Jambalaya (On The Bayou) (Side A) 5. I Can’t Make Music (Side A)
- Yesterday Once More (Side B) 7. Medley: Fun Fun Fun (Side B) 8. Yesterday Once More (Side B)
This album was a considerable departure for the siblings and contained experimental material such as the Klaatu cover “Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft” and “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina” from the hit broadway play, Evita.
- B’wana She No Home (Side A) 2. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song (Side A) 3. I Just Fall In Love Again (Side A) 4. On The Balcony Of The Casa Rosada / Don’t Cry For Me Argentina (From The Opera “Evita”) (Side A)
- Sweet, Sweet Smile (Side B) 6. Two Sides (Side B) 7. Man Smart Woman Smarter (Side B) 8. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft (The Recognized Anthem Of World Contact Day) (Side B)
THE SINGLES 1969-1973
This collection of Carpenters’ biggest Top 10 hits shows off the lush melodies brought out in Richard Carpenter’s arrangements and Karen’s singing. The packaging is original, including the notes about the origin of each track.
- We’ve Only Just Begun (Side A) 2. Top Of The World (Side A) 3. Ticket To Ride (Side A) 4. Superstar (Side A) 5. Rainy Days And Mondays (Side A) 6. Goodbye To Love (Side A)
- Yesterday Once More (Side B) 8. It’s Going To Take Some Time (Side B) 9. Sing (Side B) 10.For All We Know (Side B) 11.Hurting Each Other (Side B) 12.(They Long To Be) Close To You (Side B)
TICKET TO RIDE
Ticket to Ride is the Carpenters’ most interesting album, for it contains a range of interests and sounds that were modified or abandoned on subsequent albums. The lushly orchestrated “Someday” is a brilliant showcase for Richard’s arranging skills and the most dramatic side of Karen’s voice.
- Invocation (Side A) 2. Your Wonderful Parade (Side A) 3. Someday (Side A) 4. Get Together (Side A) 5. All Of My Life (Side A) 6. Turn Away (Side A)
- Ticket To Ride (Side B) 8. Don’t Be Afraid (Side B) 9. What’s The Use (Side B) 10.All I Can Do (Side B) 11.Eve (Side B) 12.Nowadays Clancy Can’t Even Sing (Side B) 13.Benediction (Side B)
VOICE OF THE HEART
Consisting of previously unreleased masters for a solo album by Karen, this album was compiled by Richard after her death.
- Now (Side A) 2. Sailing On The Tide (Side A) 3. You’re Enough (Side A) 4. Make Believe It’s Your First Time (Side A) 5. Two Lives (Side A)
- At The End Of A Song (Side B) 7. Ordinary Fool (Side B) 8. Prime Time Love (Side B) 9. Your Baby Doesn’t Love You Anymore (Side B) 10.Look To Your Dreams (Side B)