There are box sets and then there are BOX SETS. John Mayall’s ‘The First Generation 1965-1974 set sits firmly in the latter category, being substantial both in the artefacts contained within and the superb music it encompasses.
It is the first time a set of this size has been released documenting John Mayall’s early years and, not only does it have all the albums from his much lauded formative career, but it also contains unreleased tracks aplenty. Featuring Eric Clapton, Peter Green, Mick Taylor, Harvey Mandel, Blue Mitchell, Jon Mark and many more outstanding musicians, this mammoth package contains 35 CDs plus a beautiful hardback book and much more.
Not for nothing did John Mayall earn the moniker ‘The Godfather of British Blues’. For a short but compelling time in the ‘60s and ‘70s he recognised raw talent when he saw it, he took it in, he nurtured it, and everyone thrived and benefitted as the result. Many of the best musicians of the period passed through the hallowed ranks of John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers, and all are on show here in a stunning set crammed with musical highlights.
Put together with John Mayall’s full co-operation, the full list of contents is a must for blues and rock fans:
– 35 discs, including 3 CD Singles & 8 previously unreleased discs, alongside newly remastered versions of the original Decca & Polydor albums.
– Music from seven unreleased gigs (including Windsor 1967, Gothenburg 1968, Berlin 1969 and San Francisco 1970 and others).
– 28 unreleased BBC tracks featuring Eric Clapton, Peter Green and Mick Taylor.
– Individually signed photograph.
– Hardback book including many rare photos and memorabilia plus a full gig listing for the period.
– Separate book including fan club letters and correspondence.
– Two replica posters – Ten Years Are Gone and tour poster from 1968.
– Replica press pack for John Mayall Plays John Mayall.
This box set will be limited to 5,000 copies worldwide and is released on January 29th, 2021 on the Madfish label through Snapper Music here.