The acclaimed CBC Arts original series IN THE MAKING will return this fall for a second season of eight half-hour documentaries, each following a Canadian artist on an immersive journey inside their creative process. Premiering Friday, September 27 at 8:30 p.m. (9 p.m. NT) on CBC, a new episode will broadcast each week, and all eight episodes will be available on-demand as of September 27 via the free CBC Gem streaming service. This season’s artists include: Rebecca Belmore, Deanna Bowen, Jeremy Dutcher, Christopher House, Beverly Glenn-Copeland, Ken Lum, Walter Scott, and Laakkuluk Williamson Bathory. To celebrate, CBC Arts and producers White Pine Pictures are partnering with leading arts organizations coast-to-coast-to-coast for special screenings and events this fall, which will feature select appearances by the spotlighted artists.
Nominated for three Canadian Screen Awards and winner of a Canadian Cinema Editors Award for Best Editing in a Docuseries, IN THE MAKING features groundbreaking artists from across the creative spectrum—including visual art, music, theatre, dance and comics—as they face pivotal moments of risk and realization. With each episode, the show gives viewers rare access to the life and work of a single artist, often documented over a period of several months across multiple locations. The subjects of the second season are:
● Seventy-five-year-old electronic musician Beverly Glenn-Copeland, connecting with a new generation of fans in Japan;
● Celebrated comic artist Walter Scott, debuting new work in Montreal;
● JUNO Award and Polaris Music Prize-winner Jeremy Dutcher, reconnecting on the shores of the Wolastoq river in New Brunswick;
● Visual artist Deanna Bowen, returning home to Vancouver for a deeply personal project;
● Artist, writer and professor Ken Lum, preparing a major new sculpture in Philadelphia;
● Choreographer Christopher House, returning to the stage in Toronto and preparing to leave the company he’s led for 25 years;
● Theatre artist Laakkuluk Williamson Bathory, beginning a powerful new collaboration with women artists in Iqaluit; and
● Legendary visual artist Rebecca Belmore, mounting a survey of her life’s work in Saskatoon.
This season of In the Making will feature a special series of screenings and events presented at arts organizations across Canada this fall with O’Neill and the featured artists. The schedule is as follows (* denotes artist in attendance), with more details on each event to be made available in the coming weeks.
- September 10: Vancouver International Film Centre, Vancouver, BC (Deanna Bowen*, Ken Lum)
- September 20: Beaverbrook Art Gallery, Fredericton, NB (Beverly Glenn-Copeland*, Jeremy Dutcher)
- September 27: Hot Docs Cinema, Toronto, ON (Rebecca Belmore*, Beverly Glenn-Copeland*)
- September 27: SBC Gallery, Montreal, QC (Walter Scott)
- September 29: McMichael Canadian Art Collection, Kleinburg, ON (Ken Lum*, Deanna Bowen*, Rebecca Belmore*)
- October 10: Qaggiavuut!, Iqaluit, NU (Laakkuluk Williamson Bathory*)
- November 8: National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, ON (Laakkuluk Williamson Bathory*)
- November 12: Remai Modern, Saskatoon, SK (Rebecca Belmore, Walter Scott)
- November 30: Burnaby Art Gallery, Burnaby, BC (Ken Lum*)
IN THE MAKING is directed by some of Canada’s most compelling voices in documentary film, including Chelsea McMullan and Amar Wala, who launched a mentorship program for emerging BIPOC directors in tandem with the series’ second season.