Ticketmaster has just released some national statistics on the state of live music fandom in Canada. Of note, just over half of Canadians (53%) are planning to attend at least one live music event this summer. 4 in 5 of those planning to attend a summer concert are planning to attend at least 1-3 shows. Summer concert-going is biggest among millennials, with 58% planning to attend at least one concert compared with 47% of those aged 55+. True to form, Ontario is keeping up with the Canadian fan average – 50% of Ontarians plan to attend 1-5 live music events this summer.
Distance does not deter Canadians from going to their favourite shows
- 1 out of 3 Canadians have travelled more than 100km to see their favourite shows.
Canadians love experiencing live music events with family and friends
- Canadians rank their top 3 favourite things to do at a live event as:
- Spending quality time with friends/family (43%)
- Singing along to their favourite songs (36%)
- Dancing along to the music (10%)
- Men are more likely to rank spending quality time at concerts with friends/family as their favourite thing to do, while women are more likely to rank singing along to their favourite songs as theirs (42% vs. 31% of men)
Canadians rank refreshments as their #1 live music event essential… while millennials value staying connected, capturing moments, and sharing with their friends
- The most commonly ranked items in the top live event essentials were:
- Refreshments such as water, cold drinks, pop (50%)
- Cellphone charger (19%)
- Being more attached to technology, millennials are much more likely to bring their cellphones (34%)
Canadians love to rock
- The top 5 rated music genres amongst Canadians were: Rock (26%), Pop (18%), Country (14%), Classical (7%), and Alternative (6%).
- Men are much more likely to pick Rock music as their favourite genre (32%) compared with women (20%), whereas women are much more likely to choose Pop music (22%) than men (13%)
- Country (23%) and Classical (11%) have a stronger hold among those aged 55+ compared with millennials, where Pop music ranks highest at 23%
About the Survey
These findings are based on a Maru/Blue Omnibus survey conducted on behalf of Ticketmaster. From June 22 to June 24, 2018, an online survey of 1,521 randomly selected Canadian adults (595 in Ontario) who are Maru Voice Canada panelists was executed by Maru/Blue. For comparison purposes, a probability sample of this size has an estimated margin of error (which measures sampling variability) of +/- 2.5% (4.0% in Ontario), 19 times out of 20. The results have been weighted to match the population, according to Census data.