The outstanding accomplishments of Canada’s most prestigious songwriters, composers and music publishers will be celebrated at the 30th anniversary SOCAN Awards on April 1st in downtown Toronto, where legendary and emerging Canadian music creators, producers, writers and publishers spanning nearly every genre will come together to shine a spotlight on Canada’s tremendous talent.
The SOCAN Awards will be marked with special honours for SOCAN-member music creators who have achieved the greatest collective number of radio, live, digital, television, and screen performances in SOCAN’s history.
Thirtieth Anniversary Honours:
- Chad Kroeger – the front-man for globally celebrated, diamond-certified rock band Nickelback, with songwriting credits that include chart topping hits such as “How You Remind Me” and “Photograph” and “Someday,” Kroeger will be honoured as the Most Performed Songwriter in SOCAN history, recognizing his massive accomplishments in music and songwriting.
- “Call Me Maybe” – in 2012, British Columbia native Carly Rae Jepsen took the world by storm with the infectious “Call Me Maybe.” Co-written with Josh Ramsay and Tavish Crowe, the song catapulted Jepsen to the top of the music charts, becoming the best-selling single of the year and reaching number one in an incredible 47 countries worldwide. Jepsen, Ramsay and Crowe will be honoured for “Call Me Maybe” as the Most Performed Song in SOCAN history.
- Jack Lenz – from Due South to Little Mosque on the Prairie, Atomic Betty to Goosebumps, The Passion of the Christ and so many more, Jack Lenz has been a part of our television and movie experience for decades. For his incredible contributions to screen composition, Jack Lenz will be honoured as the Most Performed Screen Composer in SOCAN history.
2019 Special Achievement Winners:
- Drake – following his Best Rap Song win at the 2019 Grammy Awards for “God’s Plan,” Drake will receive the award for SOCAN Songwriter of the Year – Performer.
- Ed Robertson’s “The Big Bang Theory” Theme – Robertson will be recognized with the SOCAN Cultural Impact Award for the profound impact The Big Bang Theory theme has had on contemporary pop culture.
- Frank Dukes – from Post Malone to The Weeknd and Cardi B, Frank Dukes has worked with some of music’s biggest stars. For his contributions to the massive success of their, and many other songs, Dukes will be awarded the SOCAN Songwriter of the Year – Producer.
- Jessie Reyez – a graduate of Toronto’s famed Remix Project, Reyez has proven herself to be a major force in the domestic and international music scene, and will receive the SOCAN Breakout Songwriter Award.
- Murda Beatz – with a track record of hits Murda Beatz remains top of mind on the list of in-demand producers. For his contributions to songs by Nicki Minaj, Migos, Cardi B and more Murda Beatz will be awarded the SOCAN International Achievement Award.
- Keith Power – for his continued inspired contributions to the world of film and television Power will be honoured with his third consecutive SOCAN Screen Composer of the Year Award.
- Ralph Murphy – he’s written for the likes of Shania Twain, Randy Travis and many more. His songwriting credits are matched only by his dedication to the craft, and his passion for sharing his knowledge with the next generations. Murphy will be celebrated with the SOCAN Special Achievement Award.
In what is certain to be an unforgettable moment, legendary singer-songwriter Buffy Sainte-Marie will be officially inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame, recognizing her lifetime of unparalleled achievements as one of Canada’s all-time greatest music creators.
“In SOCAN history, Canadian music creators and publishers have been played worldwide, streamed billions of times, and continue to shine in Canada and globally,” said SOCAN CEO Eric Baptiste. “It is our privilege to honour the very best in Canadian music, and we look forward to celebrating the achievements of this past year while honouring the Canadian creators of the past three decades who have left their universal mark.”
In addition to performances by Dallas Smith and celebrated JUNO Award-winners Barenaked Ladies, “The SOCANs” are expected to include live performances by Meghan Patrick, Elijah Woods x Jamie Fine and Anders.
More than 45 awards will be presented at The SOCANs, for success in songwriting, composing, film scoring and music publishing based on SOCAN data compiled over the last calendar year.
SOCAN Achievement and 30th Anniversary Award winners receive “The SOCAN” – the world’s first and only music industry trophy that’s also a musical instrument. The SOCAN trophy integrates five custom bronze SABIAN crotales, tuned this year with notes from the chorus of “Call Me Maybe,” chosen especially by Carly Rae Jepsen.
The full list of this year’s SOCAN Award winners will be released on the evening of April 1, 2019.
This year marks the 30th anniversary of the SOCAN Awards, a milestone and celebration of the accomplishments of Canadian music creators and publishers. The SOCAN Awards have been held in Toronto annually since 1990. The 2019 Gala de la SOCAN, celebrating and honouring the work of SOCAN’s Francophone members, will be held in September in Montréal.