TikTok just released its 2nd Annual TikTok Music Report, highlighting top music trends on the app this year. The app is now a fundamental part of the music industry, and with the 2021 Music Report, we have the data to prove it.
TikTok remained the top source of music discovery for fans of all backgrounds, paving the way for the next generation of music stars, and helping usher in artists as diverse as Olivia Rodrigo, PinkPantheress, and Måneskin to stardom.
So, which Canadian artists made the list?
- Drake dominated even the TikTok charts and Justin Bieber gained the most followers in 2021!
- Top tracks from Canadians include music from ElyOtto, Justin Bieber, Mother Mother Music and Tesher.
- Canadians bbno$ and RealestK used TikTok to raise their profiles in a major way this year
- Canadian singer-songwriter JESSIA got a record deal from posting on TikTok and is now signed to Republic Records
- Canadian artists with the most new followers include The Weeknd, Shawn Mendes, Lubalin and Avril Lavigne
And let’s crunch some numbers:
- Over 175 songs trended on TikTok in 2021 also charted on the Billboard Hot 100, twice as many as last year.
- Approximately 430 songs surpassed 1 billion video views as TikTok sounds in 2021 – a threefold increase over 2020.
- The most popular of these songs approach, and even exceed, 20 billion views on videos they soundtrack.
You can find the full report here.