Spotify CEO Daniel Ek has been doing fine on the company front, convincing people to use its service at work, at home, and on the go, but it has been asking, “How do we get in your car?”
Here is the start of his answer. Uber. The two companies have formed an allegiance to let you choose the soundtrack for your ride.
When you request a car, you’ll be able to choose the music you want to hear on the journey. When your ride arrives, it’ll be your tunes on the car’s speakers.
So how does it work? Why, yes, there’s a video:
1. Connect your Spotify account from the Uber Profile screen or sign up.
2. Request a ride in the Uber app. If you get matched with a music-enabled Uber, the music bar will appear at the bottom of the Uber app.
3. Tap the music bar and select music from our ready-made playlist, your playlists or search for something new.
4. If you want you can wirelessly control the music from either the Uber or Spotify apps until you arrive at your destination.
5. Sit back and enjoy the soundtrack to your ride.
The new Uber and Spotify integration, available to all Uber and Spotify Premium users on iOS and Android (with a limited feature set), starts rolling out on Friday, Nov. 21 in our 10 launch cities. The integration will continue to roll out globally over the coming weeks.
To kick off our exciting new partnership, Spotify and Uber are giving fans a chance to connect with some of their favourite artists in 10 global launch cities. Participating artists include: Andrew W.K., The Sam Willows, Ximena Sariñana, Ansiktet, Professor Green, Diplo, Matt and Kim, Ricki Lee, Kevin Drew and Jake Owen. The 10 global launch cities include London, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Nashville, New York, San Francisco, Singapore, Stockholm, Sydney and Toronto.
These special events for Uber and Spotify users – including artist ride-alongs and exclusive live sessions in five of the 10 cities – will take place on Friday, November 21. Stay tuned for additional details.